We offer a specialized full-time Masters program open to students with a Bachelor’s degree in the following disciplines: neurosciences, information technology, electrical engineering, biology, physics, computer sciences, chemistry, mathematics, biomedicine and mechanical/chemical/control engineering.
Women in particular are encouraged to apply.
Please note that the admission committee cannot evaluate the admission chances of any individual candidate before submission of a full application (as defined below). We regret that we cannot respond to any inquiry about the likelihood of being admitted in the absence of a full application.
Please follow the procedure below and take note of the following registration deadlines:
- Fall Semester: By January 15th of the same year
- Spring Semester: By August 15th of the previous year
Please note that these application deadlines are specific to the NSC masters program. They are different from the semester application dates for University of Zurich and ETH Zurich. Your application will only be evaluated after the respective deadline (Jan 15 or Aug 15), and it will take 2-3 months before you receive a response. No new applications after the deadline will be accepted.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS INVOLVES THE FOLLOWING TWO STEPS:
(1) Submit the electronic application form (below) which requires the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae (resume)
- A max. one-page motivation letter stating the reasons for your interest in this program
- Full details about your Bachelor’s degree including the complete transcript of academic records
- For non Swiss citizens: A short financial statement describing how you plan to cover your living expenses in Switzerland while enrolled in the program (no bank details needed)
In this application form you are required to provide the following information:
- Names of the preferred and second-preferred mentor from the list below (the role of the mentor is to help you plan a personal curriculum; you do not need to contact the mentors before submitting your application). Find more about the mentors here.
- Two reference contacts; name, position, phone, e-mail. You do not need to submit reference letters, only the contact information. After a first selection process, we will contact the references of the students still being considered. This might happen up to 8-10 weeks after the application deadline. We will not answer queries concerning our communication with the references.
For further frequently asked questions please see our FAQ page.
(2) The evaluation process will take about 2-3 months, starting with the respective application deadline (15 January or 15 August). As soon as you will have received a positive recommendation for the University Zurich, the UZH admission office will get in touch with you for the formal part. Please note that the UZH admission office will ask you again for most of the documents.
Note for applicants with a Bachelor’s degree from an University of Applied Sciences in relevant disciplines, with a Bachelor’s degree in a non-relevant discipline (i.e. as listed above), or with a Bachelor degree from a foreign university having a world ranking greater than 1000 (http://www.webometrics.info/en):
Admission is possible, but the minimum average grade required is 5.0 (based on the Swiss Grading System). If you are a graduate of a German or Austrian Fachhochschule (University of Applied Science), you need a grade average not worse than 2.0 (based on the German/Austrian system) to be eligible for admission. Admitted students will need to complete additional coursework in the fields of neuroscience, physics, computer science, engineering, or biology. This will be decided by the Dean's office and the admission committee on a case-by-case basis.
Financial support for foreign students
It is your responsibility to secure your own financial support. There are currently no fellowships offered by the University or the Swiss State for foreign MSc students. You can find some information about fellowships offered by other countries for studies in Switzerland on our FAQ page.
Find more information about financial support at University of Zurich Student Financial Aid Office.